St. Marys and Camden CountyeBook - 2001
Bounded on the north by the Little Satilla River from neighboring Glynn County and on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, Camden County's southern boundary at the St. Mary's River separates Georgia from Florida. Dating from a 1766 land grant, port of St. Mary's and Camden County have faced a challenging past, present, and future. Camden's growth and development have been driven by businessmen, adventurers and opportunists, determined "wild swamp Crackers," and hardy, self-reliant, God-fearing men and women. Accompanied by Jonathan Bryan, a planter with an insatiable appetite for virgin tracts of land, Georgia's third and last Royal Governor James Wright visited Buttermilk Bluff in June 1767 and envisioned a city. St. Mary's was born, and its street names reflect the surnames of the 20 founding fathers. While the county seat was removed from a quaint St. Mary's on more than one occasion, today, the garden spot of Woodbine serves as the seat of county government. Formerly the rice plantation of J.K. Bedell, this small city shares a symbiotic relationship with port of St. Mary's and the "City of Royal Treatment" at Kingsland. The history of the county, with its three main towns as well as the outlying, rural areas, unfolds in striking photographs from days gone by. Preserved within the pages of this treasured volume, images reveal Camden and its people in times of tragedy and triumph.
Publisher: [United States] : Arcadia Publishing : Made available through hoopla, 2001
Characteristics: 1 online resource
Alternative Title: Saint Marys and Camden County