Built in 1928, the mill town known as Bemiston was a development of the Bemis Brothers Bag Company. This village was built as a model city and boasted all-cement sidewalks and paved streets, which was an unheard-of feature in the late 1920s. The 700,000-square-foot bag plant, which was the center of the community, took almost two years to build due to the lack of electric tools or cranes. Therefore, mules equipped with scoops were given the arduous task of moving the mounds of earth to facilitate construction of this vast plant. Bemiston had its own general store, fire department, and medical office with nurses around the clock. It also had its own electric system, water department, and garbage collection. The community building was the center of social life, and residents spent many hours socializing there. The town was known as a good place to raise children and enjoy family life.